Director, Gavin Hood was born on May 12, 1963 in South Africa. Being in the entertainment business was not in Hood’s mind at a young age. Hood became a lawyer before he turned to acting. He began his acting career in the late 80’s.
While acting, Hood was a semifinalist in the Academy Nicholl Fellowships in both 1993 and 1994 for his screenplay, “A Reasonable Man.” He was able to direct A REASONABLE MAN in 1999, where he also starred as the lead.
As years went on, Hood kept directing and acting, but he did not hit the mark until his film TSOTSI (2005) won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film of the Year. From there, he was able to direct RENDITION (2007) starring Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Aside from winning an Oscar, he is best known for directing X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (2009). The film went on to be one of the most talked about films that year. One of the reasons was due to someone leaking the whole film online before the special effects were completed. That person was later caught and charged.
Recently, Hood directed ENDER’S GAME (2013) based off of Orson Scott Card’s book from 1985.
- Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, Ben Kingsley, Director Gavin Hood, Producer Roberto Orci, and More Talk ENDER’S GAME at London Fan Q&A (collider.com)
- Gavin Hood breaks down the Mind Games from Ender’s Game (io9.com)
- Ender’s Game Review (pbrenner1138.wordpress.com)
- TR Interview: Ender’s Game Director Gavin Hood (toplessrobot.com)
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (myoldaddiction2.wordpress.com)
- ‘Ender’s Game’ director Gavin Hood on why he changed Ender’s age (herocomplex.latimes.com)